Sunday 22 February 2009

January /Feb, 2009 Snow and snowdrops








Posted by Picasa

I once bought some snowdrop bulbs which failed to thrive. Since then, I have read that you must buy them 'in the green' and had success. Most of these we inherited though and they spread year by year, about a foot a year. I've even transplanted some to the other side of the garden under the silver birch and they've taken. I'm hoping they'll spread out there too.


The beauty of them is that they have plenty of low light under the bare branches of the acer , and on the other, the traditional geraniums have died down so there's plenty of light for the snowdrops too. Later in the spring when these flourish, their leaves keep the snowdrops shaded from too hot sun.


I cannot see them from the house so they tempt me down the kitchen path to turn the L-shape into the garden. I might not be spurred to go outside otherwise! They gladden my heart every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment